#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto !important; #header-inner {text-align: Center ;} Fiji Coupfourpointfive: Regime caught with pants down over meeting

Names and pseudonyms encouraged; annonymous posts accepted in interest of debate


Saturday, July 18, 2009

Regime caught with pants down over meeting

The dictatorship regime has been basically caught with its pants down after learning that the Methodist Church violated conditions of a permit given to the Church leadership to hold its powerful Standing Committee meeting on Friday.

The permanent secretary for Information, Leiutenant Colonel Neumi Leweni, told Fiji Television news on Friday they were displeased at the Church leadership for allowing the violation of the permit conditions.

Early this week, military commander and the interim regime's prime minister Frank Bainimarama had stated that while no Methodist Church conference was going to be held this year, the Standing Committee would also need a permit to hold any meeting.

He said this was relayed to Church President Reverend Ame Tugaue.

On Thursday, the Methodist Church leadership applied for a permit and permission to go ahead with the meeting was given on early Friday morning. Leweni said the permit contained conditions the Standing Committee had to be comply with.

One of the conditions was that former leaders, Reverends Manasa Lasaro and Tomasi Kanailagi, would be excluded from the Standing Committee and all its meetings. But we can confirm that both Reverend Lasaro and Kanailagi were at the meeting to discuss Bainimarama's decision to disallow the annual Church conference to be held in Rewa next month.

So far the Church has not made is official position known to both the regime and its membership about the status of the conference. Friday's meeting was supposed to come to a firm conclusion on whether they would abide by the directive from a dictator or go ahead with the conference by ignoring Bainimarama's ultimatum.

Leweni told Fiji TV news they would now talk to the Church leadership. When asked if there would be repercussions for the Church, Leweni said there would be none but a normal meeting between "adults" would be held to try and get an explanation from the Church leadership.

Leweni's muted response is a far cry from his arrogant and confrontational tone two weeks ago when he told pro-regime radio station Legend FM they were going to find out where and why the Standing Committee was meeting when the committee met two weeks ago.

4 comments:

FijiGirl said...

Yea though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I shall fear no ill for Thou art with me
God bless Fiji

Anonymous said...

The Methodist Church Conference will go ahead and we are not afraid of Voreqe and his guns.

We will destroy Voreqe and all his supporters once and for all through the power of the Almighty God.

Anonymous said...

Who is Leweni - We the Methodists will meet in Lomanikoro and try and stop us if you have any guts.

Anonymous said...

I heard on Friday that the Standing Committee decided that the Conference will go ahead "come hell or high water".

They sounded very determined, so I am surprised that news of that decision has not become common knowledge before this.

Apparently the Roko Tui Dreketi is also VERY determined to go ahead with hosting the Conference regardless of what the Regime says or does.

Again the mood there is very defiant. I only hope that they are able to keep their frustrations in check because you can be very sure that the Regime is certainly preparing an option of using agents provocateur to scandalize the conference and the church.

I also believe this is the reason why Frank is so keen to stage-manage a guilty verdict for the alleged CRW "assassins" before the conference starts, as a shot over the bows of any soldiers contemplating disobedience or rebellion at that "showdown". The former CRW soldiers are innocent of course, but Frank has never had too much of problem in letting others take the fall for him - even if he is guilty and they are innocent (see 2001 CRW murders).