#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto !important; #header-inner {text-align: Center ;} Fiji Coupfourpointfive: Illegal government has a handle on Peoples Charter but not the Media Decree

Names and pseudonyms encouraged; annonymous posts accepted in interest of debate


Sunday, May 23, 2010

Illegal government has a handle on Peoples Charter but not the Media Decree

As money woes grow for Fiji's illegal government, the interim regime is hanging on for dear life to one of its core policies, the Peoples Charter.

Self-appointed leader, Voreqe Bainimarama, has told the Fiji Broadcasting Corporation the Charter is here to stay and that it will be incorporated into the new Constitution in 2014.

Bainimarama told FBC, the Peoples Charter has survived despite being shoved around by the majority of the people since its inception.

Less certain is the much trumpeted Media Decree, of which there is no sign of after its highly-publicised outing last month.

The regime insists the decree will lift the professional standards of the Fiji media but observers say the plan has fizzled because there's no buyer for the Fiji Times.

It's believed the junta rushed into the decree so bravely because it thought it had a local buyer lined up for the Australian-owned paper.

It's now thought the junta's plan is gazumped because it's one and only buyer has fallen through and it doesn't want to admit it doesn't have a back-up. The environment for business in Fiji is unlikely to bring foreign business rushing to Suva or Nadi.

Putting on a brave face, Attorney-General, Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum, last week told Radio New Zealand last week the decree was still on track.

“There’ll be some changes to the draft just like we’ve said right from day one. There was a lot of hysteria whipped up in New Zealand and Australia and a couple of other places, primarily in those two countries, about well you know this is the end of media freedom etc.”

Meanwhile, the news director of Fiji’s government-owned broadcaster says after a year of the public emergency regulations, the country’s media largely censors itself, even though military censors are still in the newsrooms.

FBC's news director, Stanley Simpson, says news organisations have been forced to ignore everyone who oppose the regime.

“We cannot interview them, or we cannot use their comments, as the Government has said it has a plan for the country and wants no disturbance to that. That’s the law, as it is now and we follow that. We try to be accurate, we try to be fair, but there is no balance at the moment. When it comes to politics, government issues, we are running what the government is putting out.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What has happened to the Fiji Times online? The web page is no longer opening as of today - 23 May 2010.

Anonymous said...

They don't have a clue where they are goin and what they need to get there.

Anonymous said...

Anon 6:06.

Scary isn't it?

Ever heard anything so bizarre - Bati ni wai using a roadmap?

Think big big Drua - were all captive passengers...