#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto !important; #header-inner {text-align: Center ;} Fiji Coupfourpointfive: Suvavou House fire drama over

Names and pseudonyms encouraged; annonymous posts accepted in interest of debate


Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Suvavou House fire drama over

A small fire was reported to have occured on the second floor of the Suvavou House in Victoria Parade Suva.

The military regime's Attorney-General, Aiyaz Sayed Khaiyum, has his office on the seventh floor of Suvavou house.

The second floor houses the Registrar of Titles Office. 

Initial reports suggested the fire was quite big but updates show the fire was small and there has been no damage.

Earlier reports also said the police had  blocked off Victoria Prade at both ends near Suvavou house but it appears the drama is over.

It is not known if Sayed Khaiyum was in his office or not when the fire broke out.


11 comments:

No smoke with out a fire said...

I just walked by no sign of a fire and people walking in and out of the building.

Joe said...

I hope it is arson, ie, just another way the silent majority speaks out in times of unreasonable PER and media restrictions. A cupful of sugar in the fuel tanks of those fire trucks would have been the icing on the cake.

Anonymous said...

I hope Ayarse jumped from the 7th floor...

Anonymous said...

Sugar does not stop a diesel engine. Only petrol engines are vulnerable to this. If you want to stop a diesel truck, use water.

Anonymous said...

No way was there no damage. I saw the flames and smoke coming out the window. Maybe it was a small, localized fire (it definitely appeared to be confined to one office), but there was definitely damage.

Anonymous said...

nah...getting rid of the paper trail more like it

Anonymous said...

Must be burning the evidence of their national butako dealings.

Tik Tok said...

like Saddam, khaiyum knows what is coming.

Anonymous said...

Jake,

says....make it short, Aiyaz & Shameems, Chodo has caused Fiji so much pain. Why not someone just shoot the pests.
Fiji will all be peaceful.

Anonymous said...

Nah, they were putting on a lovo in there.

Anonymous said...

From the Ministry of Information:

The early Private Alarm Monitoring system and firefighters quick response helped avert a major disaster in Suva today.

The National Fire Authority was alerted through the PFA at 11:13 am which is connected to the control centre at the Suva fire station.

The fire crew arrived at 11:19 am and found smoke billowing out of the building.

The crew quickly made their way to the fire panel located on the ground floor to locate the area where the alarm was triggering from.

The alarmed was being triggered from the second floor where the air conditioning unit ventilator was engulfed in flames.

A dry powder extinguisher doused the fire and prevented a major fire disaster in the building.

The second floor of the building housed the Registrar General’s office.

The Suvavou building also houses the Attorney General’s office, Birth and Certificate office, Registrar General’s office and other Government department offices.

NFA Acting Chief Executive Officer Mr Jone Koroi said: “the early alert via PFA system enabled the firefighters to respond quickly to the scene and prevented a major fire disaster from occurring at the Suvavou house.

“The fire alarm monitoring system received an instantaneous fire status signal detected by the building fire protection system which is installed in the Suvavou house.

“The early alert through the fire alarm system and the quick response by NFA enabled the firefighters to contain the fire to the point of origin and stopped it from spreading to the other office premises located in this building.

“This is a good example of the proactive approach by the building owners for installing a fire alarm system connected directly and monitored by the NFA.

“We have seen such incidents lead to major disasters which can impact a lot of people through loss of income or jobs if the fire had been allowed to take its destructive path through the air conditioning unit ventilator. However, we are grateful that this did not eventuate – thanks to the early alert via the fire alarm system.

“This is the reason for NFA’s proactive approach towards fire safety compliance for every business in the country.