More updates coming in on an earlier report Frank Bainimarama is about to remove the president, Ratu Epeli Nailatikau.
Sources now say senior army and police officers are advising Nailatikau to call a press conference within hours and announce:
- That under his executive authority Nailatikau has now sacked Frank Bainimarama as Commander of RFMF.
- That under his executive authority he has now sacked the Bainimarama Cabinet
- That under his executive authority he has appointed a new RFMF Commander and Land Force Commander
- That under his executive authority he has now appointed a new Police Commissioner
- That he will announce an interim cabinet to lead Fiji to elections after consultations with relevant parties within next 36 hours.
- And that he is seeking temporarily international support from the embassies to help him deliver his mandate.
Sources close to the President said to be advising him to go ahead and make the announcement then seek refuge in US embassy.