We were basically arrested for having lunch at the sea wall......I mean why arrest us??? for just gathering for a picnic??
Oilei and this budget!!
I know that people are raving about the budget, where is the money coming from?? Like a friend of mine said. Here is the shopping list but where are the receipts??? Where is the money coming from for all this??? Are we so naive to rave about the budget but not care about how we are sourcing this???? And with no Auditors report made public how do we know that this money is being utilized for its true purpose!!
I salute my 13 other friends and colleagues that joined us.......
Earlier story: A group of activists have been arrested for wearing T-shirts against the 2014 Budget.
The activists from PCP, Dialogue Fiji, Fiji Women's Crisis Centre and FSPI were having a picnic in front of the budget address venue wearing T-shirts that said "C'mon Fiji make budgets public now".
After the arrest, an activist said on social media "so how else do women and communities define their peace and human security".
The regime announced the budget today but are not making documents like the audit review and budget proposals public.
- Airport departure tax will increase to $200 from January 2014
- Excise duty will increase by 10%
- $92 million allocated for pay rise for civil servants
- $15 million allocated for 2014 elections
- Primary and Secondary education will now be free
- Tavua to Korovou region declared a tax free zone for commercial activities and not just agriculture and dairy.